Student Assistants support children in exploration of materials and equipment being mindful of safety at all times.
Thursday afternoons afford the Student Assistants to learn ways and method to support the growth and development of young children.
Rain or shine, Students Assistants insure that children are able to experience a wide range of possiblities that Sonoma State Unviersity campus offers.
The Children’s School provides many employment opportunities for Sonoma State students. The School employs an average of 40 students each semester as classroom teacher assistants, kitchen assistants and office personnel. Many students work at the School throughout their college years and describe their work as an important addition to their education and campus life. The professional staff takes great pride in working with college students and mentoring their growth as early childhood educators. In addition to direct supervision, lead teachers offer weekly staff development through Thursday group meetings, and provide opportunities for students to grow as teachers through self-study and assessment. In order to work at the Children’s School, you must be available for weekly staff meetings each Thursdays from 4 to 5. Office and kitchen personnel are not required to attend unless they also work in a classroom.
Requirements for employment:
- Teaching Assistants: This position is responsible for assisting the teacher in supervising the children and developing and planning curriculum, and caring for environments. Early Childhood or related major is preferred; Students must demonstrate a desire to work with young children and an understanding of early childhood principles.
- Kitchen Assistants: This position is responsible for assisting the cook in preparing breakfasts, lunches, and snacks for the Children’s School along with washing dishes and keeping the kitchen tidy.
- Office Personnel: This position requires office skills such as phone answering, working with files, and supporting classroom teachers. These students must dress professionally casual.
- Students are employed a maximum of 20 hours per week
- Applications may be filled out and submitted at the school or emailed to Childrens.School@sonoma.edu